Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

UStream, New FaceBook Page, and Other Stuff...

Hello everyone! 

A couple new things going on here at the world headquarters of Inky Obsessions -- aka -- my basement! I recently sold my much loved but sadly under used PanPastels and parlayed that money to buy myself a new webcam. Ustream here we come, and there goes the neighborhood! As some of you know, I was messing with my new Ustream account and seeing if I could hook up my camera, and literally before I knew what was going on, I had 15 friends online chatting with me and helping me figure out how this stuff works. The camera test turned into a bit of an impromptu show and tell session. That helped me get used to how to hold things in focus with the camera and in frame. I ended up dragging out my lampwork jewelry and doing a little show and tell about my previous life as a lampwork artist and jewelry designer. Sadly, I didn't record that session, but I promise I'll figure out how to do that before the next Ustream. Thanks so much to you guys -- you know who you are! It was a great help to me and I really appreciate you spending your time with me. 

I also created a new Inky Obsessions FaceBook page for us. I hope you'll check it out and and 'like' it to keep up with everything going on with me that pertains to my art, YouTube videos, Ustream, and this blog. 

I've also started following Twitter on a more regular basis since some of my ladies on the Ustream encourgaged me to. I'm @plynnt411 on Twitter. Hope to see you there too! 

Most of you probably know that I've been a little obsessed with making gelli tape. I decided to try full sheets of tape on my 8x10 and 12x14 gelli plates. They turn out really cool. I made a book cover out of the 12x14 piece for one of my gelli journals. Here are some pics of what I've been playing with: 

You may recognize these from my recent YouTube video -- the failed punch attempt? LOL 

There's aluminum foil behind the blue/green sheet, and I used a couple colors of pearls behind the black/red/gold sheet. Really different looks. 




These pics are from the print I made on the 12x14 gelli plate...

I love making these -- but be warned -- knowing when to stop is the tricky part! Still learning that one. 

Starting to pull after everything is dry. 

Ready for the big reveal! 

Not being all that smart, as I've outlined many times prior, I missed taking pics of the full sheet pulled off and the application of the foil! The foil part was simple, I just used my bone folder to smooth out the foil as much as possible and was very careful about laying the print on it foil. Its only adhered by the stickiness of the tape that remains exposed, however, you need to be careful about the edges that are not sticky. I had to go back and add a bit of glue to stick those areas to the foil. It didn't seem to matter in the middle of the sheet. I used watered down Elmer's to glue the foil to the folder and to adhere the edges of the print that didn't stick to the foil. 

I used a heavy duty manila folder to cover with the tape, same as I used to make my Gelli Journals. 

Here's the full cover once adhered. 

This was the only fabric that was close to the paint colors I used for this one, so it ended up being the cover for the interior. 


 Love the bright silver flash of the foil.



These are some random recent gelli prints from my playdate with my good friend Jodi Kinney. I was trying to use colors that I normally don't gravitate towards -- except for a couple -- like this first one! LOL



This was a clean up print. I had ghost images from prior pulls on the plate and used Golden Fluid Acrylic in Indian Yellow Hue and Quin Nickel Azo Gold. 






More Quin Nickel Azo Gold on the chevron design. I'll be using this more now. 

I love this iStencil I used for the pop of black on this one. It really gives a 3D look. 


 One of my favorites!


 Love me some Pebeo shimmer! 


I love the translucent gold layer over the top of these two pulls. I got this idea from the first Gelli Arts video I ever saw. Really beautiful in person. 



I cleaned up the leftover gold on the plate with this print. I like the ghostly, scattered bits of gold you see on it. 


That's it for now folks! I'm heading back to Canada again for work this Saturday morning, returning Thursday night. Last (known) travel for a while now, so I'm hoping after this trip we can explore more on Ustream. Don't forget -- if you want to follow me on Ustream, please join my crowd so you'll get the notifications when I plan to broadcast. 

Have a great weekend and happy arting!!! 

12 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful gelliplate creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style with the gelli plates. I started a few months ago and am obsessed too. I think the large gelli tapes would look cool framed in those floating frames. The ones where you put the picture between glass and the boarder is clear. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Kathy. In fact I have a few of my all time favorite gelli prints set aside for some frames I need to buy. Happy you are having fun with your gelli plate!

      Delete
  3. OK, would it not look cool to put the tape on acrylic and hang them in front of a window? I mean, like you could 'string' them together and have an art installation in front of a window. I love your designs. You make it look as though they are spontaneous, but it's all because you already have a great intuitive sense of design to begin with. Not to mention your wonderful and spontaneous sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Paula. Actually you could probably rig something like that. At one time I was playing with alcohol inks on acetate and planned to put them up against some glass panels in my cube at work, then we moved to a new building and the cubes are different. Still may put them somewhere. The paint on the clear tape would give a similar effect.

      Delete
  4. I'm all signed up and ready to watch you on Ustream. I hope your travels are going well, or um went well. Can't wait to see the next project. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly. I just got back from the last trip late last night. As soon as I recoup some energy, I'll be back downstairs playing with something for sure.

      Delete
  5. Just scrumptious! I have a Gelli plate, never used it, but now that I see what you can do I'm feeling inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, you have to get that thing out and start slinging some paint around. You really can't mess up a gelli print. Each one is individual and stands on its own. Some you will want to frame, some not so much, but they are all so much fun to make. Its always a surprise to see what you pull off that plate .

      Delete
  6. Hi Patti.
    I joined your crowd on Ustream-- I feel so cool!

    I so enjoy your blog and videos. You are so friendly that I forget we haven't ever met, yet.

    Hope all is well with you and those you care about.
    Joy in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks Joy. I got in my tripod and hope to try another Ustream sometime this week. I'll be sure to post on FB ahead of time, but you'll get a notification now that you are following me. Happy to have you join the crowd! Stay tuned.

      Delete